Thursday, January 1, 2015

Silva Family Update!!


I can't believe that it has been five years since we brought Madison home. In those five years so much has happened. However 2014 seemed to be the year for changes and major celebrations for our family.

Madison is now seven years old and in the second grade. This year she started at Village elementary school which is a parent participation. I am so happy we were able to move her, not only for the opportunities she has such as once a month field trips, weekly enrichment centers and etc.., but also for what it provides me! Since everyone is "required" to participate you have 200+ families working towards the same goal with everyone pretty much pulling their own weight and contributing to the school. After all the hours I logged at Blackford with less than 10 parents participating (@ a school of 600+) its a nice break to not be "needed".

Maddison, or as she likes to be called, Maddy is thriving in the environment not only socially but academically as well. She does not like math, but I don't think being a math major is in her future as she wants to be a artist. Maddy loves to drawing, paint, write stories and dance. Maddy talks about going to college to study Art and then becoming a artist!! I have always said this girl of mine will grow up and leave us someday, probably moving to a city with excellent public transportation. Perhaps living in New Year or Los Angeles is in her future...

Jake is now in the sixth grade and started middle school this year. He is almost 5 feet tall and when he turned twelve in November I kept thinking where did my baby go? I think reality hit me recently when we took him to buy shoes. I honestly thought he was wearing a kids size 3 or 4. I was surprised when he took off his shoes and he was a size 7, however imagine my shock when I couldn't find a size 8 in the style he wanted and was then informed by the clerk that the reason I couldn't find the size 8 was because my baby boy was no longer wearing kids shoes!! He had graduated into wearing mens shoes and a size 8 mens at that!! I am struggling with the fact that my baby boy is growing into a young man, but I am proud of the smart, compassionate and loving person I am seeing develop. I guess mama needs to start cutting the apron strings a little more because in six years, yes SIX years, he will be off to college and a adult. I know better than anyone that six years will go by in the blink of a eye.

This last September, John & I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary. The last 15 years has flown by and while we have had our shares of ups and downs there is no other person in the world I would want to share this crazy adventure called life with. When I look back, I realize just how young and inexperienced we were when we got married at 23 & 25. We have had a lot of laughs, more than our fair share of tears and even some fights that have tested our marriage, but we always make it through whatever comes our way together and stronger. I look forward to celebrating our 30th anniversary and many many more with this man I am proud to call my husband. I also feel lucky that I found someone who loves me unconditionally and even more importantly puts up with all my crap!

As if working full time, being a mom and volunteering wasn't enough, I decided with lots of encouragement (ok, pushing ) to go back to school to finish my four year degree and started the program in Jan 2013. I started the program with a piss poor attitude that I was just going back as I had realized that I was going to be stuck at Stanford in my career without it, but I didn't think I was going to learn anything. Boy was I wrong!! I learned so much from my teachers and peers, but I also learned a lot about myself. I am proud to say that I finished the program in Dec and am now a proud alumni of University of San Fransisco. I am even more proud that I graduated with honors and a final GPA of 3.85, this all from the girl who just thought going back to school was all about getting that "dumb" piece of paper. I have to give credit where credit is due, I couldn't have completed the program and been so successful without John and my families love and support. Additionally, I made some amazing life long friends that were there to push me to not only do my best, but also remind me that failure was not a option.

The most important thing that happened to our family in 2014 was that we decided to adopt a little girl from China. My next post will focus on that decision and sharing with you about her. The posts after that will document our journey to get her in the New Year.

I am looking forward to 2015!

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment