Saturday, December 26, 2009

Day 4 – Xining – Meeting the Foster Family




Today was the day we met the foster family. Our day started out with us having to go take photo’s for the civil affairs office. Our guide had us walk the six blocks to the photo place. Finally Madison let John carry her in public and actually feel sleep on the walk. After photo’s we grabbed a cab to the KFC where we had lunch. Lunch was interesting, even thou it was a KFC it wasn’t like home. I had a chicken sandwich which was a chicken patty that had corn and peas mixed in. It was neither good nor bad; it was okay but made me miss the KFC at home. After lunch we walked back to the hotel, the fresh air did us all some good. Once back at the hotel it was time for naps and to prepare to meet the foster family.
When we arrived at the orphanage the foster mother, sister and brother in law were outside waiting for us. As soon as Madison got out of the car she went running for her foster mother. We were all ushered inside by the staff into a very small room. It was a very surreal and emotional experience. I must admit that I have very very very mixed feelings about the entire experience. I do not regret it but, I am not sure if given the option and what I know now that I would do it all over again. Once in the room our guide asked if we had questions for the family, which I did about bedtime and bath time. The mother answered them, but also had the guide tell us how sad she was and that she only received two days notice that we were coming. She wasn’t ready for Madison to leave her care. I guess I had imagined that the foster family would be sad but, also happy that Madison was being adopted but, that was not the vibe in the room. The foster mother was very
upset and dare I say angry that we were here to take her baby away. As the person taking this child away, it makes you feel terrible to see your child so happy to see the only family they have every known and to know you have brought this family so much grief and heartbreak. So now the foster mother, sister and I are all crying. They truly love Madison and I think if they could have kept her they would have. We gave them our gifts (which of course they did not open in front of us) and I presented them with the photo collage that Millie put together (THANKS!). The photo was a huge hit, they loved it. Due to passport photo issues for Madison, our visit was rushed and we didn’t get to tour the orphanage, which was probably better. At this point the foster mother was lecturing me thru our guide, about feeding her enough, she told the guide she was worried we won’t feed Madison enough (all I could think was come on lady look at me…cant you tell I eat!
plus we are sitting here giving her Cheerios while you are holding her!) then it was about Madison’s runny nose (she is teething) and then about her clothes and eyes. I know the foster mother was being over protective but, it is not my 1st time at the rodeo, I do have a 7yr old who is well cared for. I was feeling very emotional spent and was relieved when the guide said we had to go back to the photo place. Of course before we could go, we had to take pictures with the family and the director. It was time to leave and the foster family put Madison in their car, I threw my guide a look and she said “They just want her to sit in their car, one more time” Of course my mama bear instincts kicked in, my guide said “Don’t worry, we won’t let them take her.” John put down the bags and looked like he was ready to run over at any moment and tackle the foster family. The guide convinced us that we should go wait in the car while she the orphanage
staff stood guard. Finally they brought Madison back to us, who promptly started bawling. Luckily we had to get going to take her passport picture again and that was a great distraction. After about an hour of crying and fussing, she was better and was calling us Mama and Baba again and handing out kisses.
Once the pictures were completed, we headed for the computer mart, which is like a mall with different computer stores/stands. After many conversations we were able to find someone who had a 110/220 converter. I prayed that it would work because I was feeling homesick and really needed to talk to my mama! Luck for us it worked and now we are back in contact with our world. Tomorrow we are off to sight see!

No comments:

Post a Comment