Friday, May 8, 2009

Where are we in the process?

We attended the class in April and will begin our home study tomorrow (Sat May 9th) Wohoo!!

I must admit that we are very lucky! Mind you, I believe everything happens for a reason :)

We thought that our home study had to be completed before we could inquire or be matched with a SN child. So this week with the list came out, I emailed our China coordinator (on 05/04/09) to ask a couple of questions about the process and when exactly we could begin trying to be matched off the list. To our surprise she informed us (on 05/05) that as long as we where beginning our home study and could have our dossier to China in the next 3 months (which is my plan anyways) that we could be matched anytime.

WOW - We were shocked but thrilled. So John & I went through the list and found a child that we were interested in. I emailed the coordinator back and to our disappointment that child had been matched to another family, but the coordinator said she would try to match us next month if I provided her with our requirements.

Imagine our surprise when 15 mins later, we received a email from her saying that she had matched us to another child who met our requirements! My head is spinning!! So I called her to confirm that this was real and to find out what the process was. She informed me that her file was on hold for us and we had 24hrs to decide whether or not to pursue the adoption.

Well, it is 10:30 at night, my head is spinning, so I shoot a email off to a pediatrician in Jake's playgroup to beg her to help us review the medical file and another email off to our playgroup trying to locate someone to translate the file to English. We got the file in both English and Chinese but I wanted to make sure the translation was correct plus it took me a hour & a phone call to realize that we had both files!

Again I got lucky because our friend reviewed the file & emailed me back that overall the child is healthy and another mom translated the file for me! WHEW

The next morning I got a email detailing what we had to do to proceed. We had to fill out a application form, write a letter of intent, write a family brief and submit passport and family photos.

I think we had both decided before bed that we were moving forward and that this was our child, but I called John to verify that we were on the same page and we were. So on May 6th our paperwork was sent to China and now we have to wait! We should have our PA - pre-approval (PA) in two weeks. Once we receive our PA, I will post a blog to introduce our child to you :)

Please send us happy positive thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. SO EXCITING, Im keeping my fingers crossed for you. I have to friends with children from China and they are both the sweetest kiddos!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete